Date:      Fri, 9 Nov 2001 13:11:03 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
To:        "Mike Meyer" <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Multi-processor Support

Mike Meyer writes:

> I think you're suffering from MSBD (MicroSoft
> Brain Damage).

I was working on mainframes long before I saw anything from Microsoft, and the
same rule applied.  It applies to all operating systems.  By definition, the
kernel is critical to the functioning of the system; anything messed up in the
kernel generally prevents the system from running.

> As far as I can tell, it's easier to back out
> of failed kernel install on Unix than it is to
> back out a failed application install on
> Windows.

That is also my impression, based on my first attempt to build a custom kernel
yesterday.