Date:      Thu, 09 Aug 2001 18:41:25 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
To:        Yu-Shun Wang <yushunwa@isi.edu>
Cc:        Jonathan Chen <jon@FreeBSD.ORG>, net@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: forwarding broadcast

In message <20010809102555.Y42772-100000@amc.isi.edu> Yu-Shun Wang writes:
: 	I think it's specified in RFC 2644. It might be useful
: 	to site it in the comments of the code.

There were several incidents in the early days of the internet when
this functionality was in place that caused all kinds of problems.
Look at the trouble that Jordan got into in 1983 (search the RISKS
archives) when he send a broadcast to all (which sent the wall to the
entire internet at the time).  While this wasn't exactly a network
level broadcast, consider carefully the ramifications.

There are many cases where could be useful turns into a security
nightmare, so I'd be extremely reluctant to include this patch...

Warner