Date:      Fri, 11 May 2001 10:54:07 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        "Jacques A. Vidrine" <n@nectar.com>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, "~/.signature" <hawk@fac13.ds.psu.edu>, "Dmitry V. Kalashnikov" <dvk@qwest.net>, mobile@FreeBSD.ORG, "Dmitry V . Kalashnikov" <dvk@toolbuilders.com>
Subject:   Re: My perfect laptop!

> Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 11:42:05 -0500
> From: "Jacques A. Vidrine" <n@nectar.com>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> On Wed, May 09, 2001 at 09:26:40AM +0930, Greg Lehey wrote:
> > I think it just stores a copy of RAM, so you don't need (much more)
> > space than the size of your RAM.  I don't know if FreeBSD supports
> > suspend-to-disk.
>
> Suspend-to-disk works fine with FreeBSD on a Sony VAIO Z505sx (Phoenix
> BIOS).  In this case, the BIOS does as  you say -- it dumps the RAM to
> a partition.  When you boot again,  it loads it back up.  It otherwise
> behaves pretty much as suspend does.
>
> > My issues with the ThinkPads are:
> >
> > 1.  I don't like the eraserhead pointer.  I suppose I could get used
> >     to it, but it's an issue against it.
>
> I just replaced my  Sony VAIO with a ThinkPad X20  (they are about the
> same size/weight)  in part  because of disgust  with the  touchpad.  I
> hate the damn  things, I always hit them with  my thumbs while typing,
> sending my  cursor flying.   The IBM TrackPoint  is very  accurate and
> doesn't get in the way.  The ThinkPad  X20 also has 3 mouse buttons --
> woo hoo!
>
> > 2.  All ThinkPads I have seen have the Fn key at bottom left where the
> >     Alt key should be.  If it were anything else (Ctrl, for example),
> >     it could be remapped, but you can't remap the Fn key.  Is this
> >     still the case on your machine?
>
> My bottom row starts out like:  Fn  Ctrl Alt Space ... Sometimes I hit
> Fn when I meant  to hit Ctrl.  I find all keyboards  take some time to
> get used to.

I always swap "Caps Lock" and "Ctrl" since that is the way almost all
Unix systems had them before we went to i386 hardware. (Blame
Microsoft for the switch. Rumor is that they did it to kill WordStar
by making Ctrl hard to type.)

This makes keyboards far more consistent as the caps lock key tends to
stay put. (Did you know that you can do the same re-mapping under
Windows?)

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)