Date:      Fri, 1 Mar 2002 12:05:04 -0600
From:      "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1015437905.a8a05b@mired.org>
To:        Cliff Sarginson <csfbsd@raggedclown.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Making suggestions

Cliff Sarginson <csfbsd@raggedclown.net> types:
> On Thu, Feb 28, 2002 at 01:14:32PM -0800, Gary W. Swearingen wrote:
> There have been recent rumblings about missing KDE components on the
> ISO's. It't been discussed, and said a few times that there is only so
> much room on a CD.
> So I get to think, what is on the CD, looking at /usr/bin I see several
> things that by no stretch of the imagination could be described as
> essential. The example I gave is F77. Now if I want to suggest that a
> re-examination be made of what constitutes the base distribution, and to
> turf off out fripperies like F77 to whom do I suggest it ? In fact if I
> suggest that the time has come for a lot of things that are in /usr/bin
> to start justifying their existance who is going to listen to me ?
>
> As Gary points out above there seems to be no forum for this.

I'd say it would be -arch. You're talking about changing what is and
is not part of the base system, which is clearly part of the project
architecture. With the caveat that I don't read -arch, so I may be way
off base here.

> To *repeat* this is not meant to start a discussion on F77... :)

But I'm going to answer anyway. f77 is part of gcc. You could easily
configure gcc not to build it, which would save you at most couple of
hundred K. Diking f77 out of sources would save more, but be much
harder.

On the other hand, I notice that f2c and the pascal compilers that
were part of the CSRG distributions are now ports. Ditto for rsync. We
only install the dhcp client package, not the server one.  There is
work being done to remove uucp from the base system.

In other words, when you talk about this, you want to talk about
removing a complete software package, not bits and pieces of
one. Clearly, you can't take out gcc, so f77 is probably going to
stay. On the other hand, a lot of people would like to see perl taken
out, which means the equally useless a2p would go away.

	<mike