Date:      Sun, 7 Apr 2013 16:21:45 GMT
From:      jilles@FreeBSD.org
To:        root@ai1.alaska.net, jilles@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org, jilles@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: bin/177673: sh(1): Possible comment problem

Old Synopsis: Possible comment problem is /bin/sh
New Synopsis: sh(1): Possible comment problem

State-Changed-From-To: open->feedback
State-Changed-By: jilles
State-Changed-When: Sun Apr 7 16:13:03 UTC 2013
State-Changed-Why:
I compiled stable/4 sh and it shows the same

a comment follows#comment.

as recent sh and all other Bourne-style shells I tried. POSIX is also
clear that a '#' only begins a comment if it is at the start of a word.
This means that it can be (in most cases) at the start of a line, after
whitespace or after an operator such as ')' and '&&'.

There is likely something different going on here.

I notice that tcsh does begin a comment in your script.

Responsible-Changed-From-To: freebsd-bugs->jilles
Responsible-Changed-By: jilles
Responsible-Changed-When: Sun Apr 7 16:13:03 UTC 2013
Responsible-Changed-Why:
sh(1) is my area.