Date:      Sun, 4 Jun 2000 11:25:53 -0400
From:      "Troy Settle" <troy@picus.com>
To:        "Doug Barton" <Doug@gorean.org>, <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: IP vs CNAME

** > @       IN      SOA     ns1.isp.net. hostmaster.isp.net. (
** >               2000060401  10800  3600  3600000  86400 )
** >         IN    MX  10   mailhost.isp.net.
** >         IN    MX  20   spooler.isp.net.
** >         IN    NS       ns1.isp.net.
** >         IN    NS       ns2.isp.net.
** > @       IN    CNAME    webhost.isp.net.
** > www     IN    CNAME    webhost.isp.net.
** > mail    IN    CNAME    mailhost.isp.net.
** >
** > Happy now?
**
** 	Nope. That won't work either. I reiterate:
**
** > ** you can't combine
** > ** CNAME RR's and other RR's for the same host.
**
** 	Try actually loading up a zone file that looks like that
** and you'll see
** what I mean.
**

Ya know, I hate being wrong, but when I am, I get to eat that tasty crow.

I tried that zone as-is (as well as a supporting 'isp.net' zone).  It did
not work, giving an errors:
	domain.com:5:domain.com: CNAME and OTHER data error

I'm confused.  I KNOW there's nothing wrong with the SOA.  I checked that
by itself by loading the zone with an A record instead of a CNAME for the
origin.  It worked fine.

When I changed it back to a CNAME, it bitched and refused to load.  I'm
not sure I understand the difference, or why the authors of BIND decided
that a CNAME on a zone file was a BAD thing.  But, that's ok... now I know
it won't work, and I'll live with it.

It is funny that this is not in the named man page, nor do I remember
seeing it in the cricket book.  I'll be sure to check this coming week.

** > Actually, I don't use CNAMEs that often, and never realized this.
**
** 	So why are we having this conversation? You obviously
** don't understand
** what I'm talking about, and you don't have enough background to be
** disagreeing with me. I'm not trying to be rude, but I hate
** seeing people
** give bad advice on a public list. Innocent users might be misled.

The fact is, I *know* I used CNAME on the origin back in 95 or 96 when I
had limited resources.  When I actually started putting this crap into
practice in late 96, I had enough IPs that I didn't have to screw around
that 'new' name-based virtual hosting crap.  Each domain got it's own IP.

The post I had on this thread had minimal information because I didn't
feel the need to expand on it.  Mistake, there's yet *another* message
from someone asking about the 'isp.net' zone and where it's information is
at.  To this person, I say "USE YOUR IMAGINATION."

-Troy