Date:      Sun, 3 Aug 1997 09:31:07 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb>
To:        tony@dell.com (Tony Overfield)
Cc:        cjs@portal.ca, freebsd@atipa.com, tom@sdf.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Pentium II?

Tony Overfield wrote:

> At 03:10 PM 8/2/97 -0700, Curt Sampson wrote:
> >
> >On Sat, 2 Aug 1997, Tony Overfield wrote:
> >
> >> Since the hit rate of the L1 cache is usually much higher than that of
> the L2
> >> cache, the effect of the slower L2 cache in the Pentium II is usually
> offset
> >> by the beneficial effect of not having to access it.  So even at the same
> >> clock rate, the Pentium II can run faster than the Pentium Pro.
> >
> >Do you have any benchmarks that indicate this?
>
> I think many of the benchmarks indicate this.  The benchmarks show, when
> run at the same clock frequency, that the Pentium II runs at speeds
> comparable to the Pentium Pro, even though the L2 cache is running at
> half-speed.  Many folks had claimed that the Pentium II would be much
> slower because of the half-speed L2 cache.

	oh?  what is the size of your dataset?  what is the data access
	pattern?  without specifing these two items, i cant tell how
	your are using L1 and L2 cache.

	what we need is a benchmark that has a fixed data access pattern
	and known data set size.  better yet would be one that starts with
	a very small data set and grows the data set till the computer starts
	using disk.  a graph of the results would show the speed of the
	machine accross all its memory regimes.

	http://www.scl.ameslab.gov/scl/HINT/HINT.html
jmb