Date:      Wed, 7 Jan 1998 17:25:29 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jacob Suter <jsuter@uranus.intrastar.net>
To:        Lukas Wunner <lukas@design.de>
Cc:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?=22Luis_E=2E_Mu=F1oz=22?= <lem@cantv.net>, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [fbsd-isp] Designing for a very large ISP

> My suggestion would be to look at an SGI Origin 200/2000 or Sun U2 box
> instead of a PC box running FreeBSD. We have experienced severe problems
> with PCs wrt expandability/scalability. E.g., we currently have 256MB of
> RAM in our news box but would love to go to 512MB, but the motherboard
> is not capable of doing that although the documentation and the webpages
> state the contrary (it's a Tyan Tomcat III or IV). If you want to go to
> something like 1GB or 2GB of RAM, you're stuck with a PC. The only

I've seen 1GB ram in an Alpha Server (Dual processor), running *cough
cough* OpenVMS 7.2.

> solution seem to be PPro based machines, but the chipsets available so
> far are really ugly wrt memory and PCI performance in my opinion (as
> compared to good old Pentium based boards). The only chipset which seems
> to be able to support lots of RAM and more than 4 PCI cards seems to be
> the Orion GX, one implementation being the AMI Goliath board (cf. www.ami.com).
> However, I have not been able so far to get my hands on one of these
> boards *without* buying a large expensive box from Compaq et al (it seems
> AMI only sells these boards to OEMs, at least I have not found a
> distributor here in Germany, if you know of one, please drop me a line).
> The Goliath board also requires special (read: expensive) DIMMs, you
> can not use standard PS/2s or SDRAMs.

Interesting.  I've seen VIA VP2 boards that will do 512mb on the board,
apparently assuming you put in two 128MB dimm/sdram and four 64mb SIMM
sticks... Not a terribly fast but a situation that should work...

> Experience also has shown that usually you have to invest more time
> into getting a PC based server running as compared to a machine which
> was designed from scratch to be a high performance/bandwidth server
> like the SGI Origin 2000, and time is money (I have spent *several* hours
> trying to get the Tomcat board running with more than 256MB of RAM).

SGI Origin 2000... Irix... Server?  Not really.

> Note: this is no FreeBSD-bashing. I'd always prefer a FreeBSD-based
> machine to an SGI Origin 2000 if it wasn't that difficult to find
> PC hardware which suits our needs wrt scalability/performance.
> Any recommendations for high-end PC hardware are welcome.

wcarchive seems to run fine on their single P6/233 - 512MB system... I am
pretty sure its not packed with special components JKH made with a
soldering iron :)

JS