Date:      Sat, 03 Dec 2005 14:53:31 +0100
From:      Juergen Dankoweit <Juergen.Dankoweit@T-Online.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Meaning of "assert failed: /usr/src/libexec/rtld-elf/i386/reloc.c"

Hello to the list.

After long time of trouble free running of all applications a few days
ago I got this error message while starting Gnome-Evolution:
ld-elf.so.1: assert failed: /usr/src/libexec/rtld-elf/i386/reloc.c:

I tested a few other applications and noticed that some (Gnome-) apps
are running without problems (e.g. Epiphany) and some other are
producing the error message above (e.g. gedit).

Please tell me: What is the meaning of this error message and what is
the reason for that?

The operating system and all applications weren't changed since January
2005.

My system: FreeBSD 5.3 STABLE#2 with SMP kernel

Many thanks in advance.

Best regards

J=FCrgen Dankoweit