Date:      Mon, 4 Jan 1999 08:31:26 -0600
From:      mike grommet <mgrommet@insolwwb.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: /usr/local/bin [was: Re: executable scripts]

>From personal experience, you will find that because FreeBSD does dump local
packages into /usr/local, that your upgrades with freebsd will go much much
easier
than with BSDI... The BSDI upgrade process stinks because if you are doing
your job,
you are updating packages like apache and such as needed and then when it
comes time to
upgrade the OS, the upgraded software ends up putting up versions of
software that is ancient
compared to what you have previously installed.

FreeBSD upgrades are fairly nice.  the only time I've had this problem with
FreeBSD
is with sendmail...  I've installed 8.9.1, 2.2.8 re-installed
8.8.whatever...
now the nice thing was that I put the source tree for sendmail under
/usr/local
so all I had to do was go into the sendmail tree and do another reinstall...
everything else was perfect.

I like BSDI just fine other than the upgrade procedures, and its a fine OS
and performs well, but they could definately make some massive improvements
in their
upgrade methodology