Date:      Mon, 3 May 2010 15:39:58 -0500
From:      Dan McNulty <dkmcnulty@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Finding out when a child process forks or calls exec

Hi all,

I am trying to port a debugging tool that uses the ptrace interface
from Linux to FreeBSD. From what I can tell, the ptrace interface on
FreeBSD is pretty similar to the Linux interface; however, it doesn't
appear that the FreeBSD interface generate events when the child
process forks, calls exec, creates a new LWP, etc. My question then
is:

Does FreeBSD provide any way to determine from a parent/tracing
process if a child process has called fork, exec, exit, or created a
new LWP?

Thanks for your help,

-Dan