Date:      Thu, 14 Aug 1997 22:51:07 +0200 (MEST)
From:      Søren Schmidt <sos@sos.freebsd.dk>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        wollman@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Well, I guess it's about time I mentioned this little problem...

> David G. and I poked around at the problem a bit during a recent phone
> conversation of ours, but nothing really came to mind as a solution.
>
> Here's the scenario:
>
> Box G, a FreeBSD 3.0-current machine, contains an SMC ethernet card
> configured as ed0 and a standard serial port with a ISDN Terminal
> Adaptor running at 115.2KBaud and configured as sl0.  This slip line
> goes to another ISDN TA which is plugged into hub.freebsd.org,
> everything on that side configured pretty much the same way.
>
> Box A, a FreeBSD 2.2-stable machine, talks to box G over its own PCI
> NIC, configured as de0.  Box G is configured as this machine's default
> gateway and it's your basic, standard "n machines on a LAN being
> served by one gateway machine with an ISDN connection" situation.
>
> Now here's where it gets weird.  By and large, everything works just
> fine on this LAN and the FreeBSD/ISDN machine has been serving rather
> happily in this role for over a year.  The only flies in the ointment
> have been certain URLs which just never seemed to be reachable from
> Box A, whether the browser was Netscape or Lynx or whatever.  At first
> I just wrote this off to the flakey nature of the net in general, but
> then I started getting suspicious when I noticed that these "stubborn
> URLs" actually worked just fine from Box G or from hub.freebsd.org, it
> just failed to work from Box A.  During my conversation with David, he
> suggested that I drop the MTU on box A's ethernet interface from 1500
> to 500 and TADA!  Suddenly these URLs (one of which is
> http://www.sunlabs.com/) could be visited just fine from box A, no
> problems.

Looks an awfull lot like the problem I have with running cvsup..
Wheneven I try my gateway machine (2.2.2) gets hosed at just lets
avery other tcp packet through :(, setting the MTU lower helps
but does not entirely cure the problem. I'm using userlevel ppp though
so there is a bit difference...

Søren Schmidt               (sos@FreeBSD.org)               FreeBSD Core Team
                Even more code to hack -- will it ever end
..