Date:      Wed, 14 Jun 2000 14:13:39 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: loading modules from within the kernel....

> Since your driver initialisation is going to (often) happen before disk
> I/O, I'd be inclined to put a dependancy in your module to another module
> with a container object containing the firmware.

Right. I would expect that the loader(8) would DTRT. Of course, this then
raises an issue about how this might be supported statically as well!

> Of course, this brings to light the fact that I don't think we support
> "soft" dependancies, ie. load-this-if-you-can-but-don't-fail-if-you-can't.

Oh, err, uh, that's gotta be fixed. Let the caller/invoker of a load action
decide what the policy for failure is.

> The current school of thought for solving this would be to have your
> firmware load as a plain container in a fashion similar to the way we
> load the MFS root image, and then use preload_search_by_type() to locate
> it.

Does this approach use functions/APIs that are likely to not change for a
while?

-matt