Date:      Tue, 22 May 2001 18:19:37 +0200
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Copyright law, again...

An interesting book review I just saw in Slashdot:
"Digital Copyright" by Jessica Litman.  I wonder what a "moderate"
like Brett will think about chapter 2, which is reproduced on the
web:
http://www.msen.com/~litman/digital-copyright/ch2.html

In fact, in the recent thread Brett referred to (and strongly
recommended) the "book" by Litman referred to in the paper on
libraries by Bartow, but the only reference to Litman in that paper is
a journal article.  Maybe it's this book you were thinking of?
I'm referring to a mail of May 4,
http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=299531+301464+/usr/local/www/db/text/2001/freebsd-chat/20010506.freebsd-chat

The chapter excerpted above is one of the strongest indictments of the
current copyright situation I have ever read.  Even Stallman doesn't
get into the guts of today's system and savage it the way she does: he
writes philosophical arguments, she writes with expert real-world
knowledge.  I have not read the rest of the book; but I have just ordered
it.

Brett, if this is not what you had in mind, read the above chapter:
since you admire the author I believe you will take what she says more
seriously than random rants on this list....  And if this book is
indeed what you had in mind, I'm curious to know why you thought that
Mike was being "alarmist" and why you thought this book would set him
right.

- Rahul