Date:      Tue, 2 Jan 1996 14:26:26 -0500
From:      Thomas David Rivers <ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com>
To:        gid.co.uk!rb@dg-rtp.dg.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com
Subject:   Re: X for install

I'm jumping in the middle of this discussion, but I thought
it would be worthwhile to echo Bob Bishop's sentiments.

I'm one of the people who would be happy with a shell script or
two and leave it at that; but I can handle the current installation
problems (as long as I get the opportunity to address the problems.)

I install FreeBSD on several types of machines; some of which would not
tolerate bringing up X just to get an install completed.

I like the idea of abstracting the interface specification so that
either an X install, or a scripty/menu install (as we now have)
can be performed; and I point at DG/UX's system maintenance mechansisms
as an example of how to do that.

The task of producing an interpreted language that either draws
boxs with X or curses, or direct PC writes isn't that difficult
(particularly in the presence of libforms) - can we consider
that approach?

	- Dave Rivers -