Date:      Mon, 24 Jul 2000 10:25:24 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.osd.bsdi.com>
To:        Graham Wheeler <gram@cequrux.com>
Cc:        kazu@freebsd.org, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: psmintr: out of sync (0080 != 0000). ARGH!

> As you know, Jordan, I have had this problem in a bad way since 4.0-R
> (currently running a 3 week old stablesnapshot). I made those terrible
> kludges to the driver that I sent you, which are definitely not a real
> solution. However, my mouse is now completely usable with these hacks. I

Hmmmm.  That's no good.  I also have to profess that the hacks didn't
*completely* solve the problem for me either - it worked great for 24
hours and then, as such Murphyesque bugs like to do, started
misbehaving again (though to far less significant effect) the next
day.  Now when my mouse dies, it dies more or less completely and I
need to switch from X to a VTY and then return.  That operation seems
to clear things up, though I know not why.

I suspect the problem is something far more mysterious in the
interaction between another driver (like syscons?) and the psm driver,
or perhaps it has nothing to do with either and it's a seemingly
unrelated change in an entirely different section of the kernel.  I
don't envy Kazu for what it's probably going to take to fix this at
all. ;-)

- Jordan