Date:      Sun, 5 Aug 2001 23:54:13 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Mike Meyer" <mwm@mired.org>, "Jim Conner" <jconner@enterit.com>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: just how many known viruses are there for FreeBSD?

One of the big problems with the IIS that comes in the Option Pack and
runs on NT4 is that all virtual processes share the same memory.  This
was supposed to be fixed in the IIS that came with W2K and maybe it was -
but a worse problem is that buggy ASP code (ASP is kind of Microsoft's
answer to PHP I guess) will make the IIS server simply stop running.  This
problem is SO bad that Microsoft actually wrote a program called the
"IIS Exception Monitor" that runs under NT4 and is constantly checking
the webserver to see if it is still running, and if it sees the webserver
stop it will restart it.  The exception monitor was included in the IIS
that comes with Win2K but you had to get it from Microsoft support for NT4.

We've had much experience with this problem because we offer NT hosting
and it is not fun when you put a new virtual site on the webserver and
it makes everyone elses's sites stop working just because the ASP code is
buggy for that site.  (which is unfortunately often the case because
ASP code is basically warmed-over Visual Basic so that people can port
their crappy old VB scripts to the Web)

We never got the worm (because we are good boys and follow the Microsoft
patches and immediately apply all of the security ones that they release)
but many customers did and based on what happened to them there is no way
in hell that proper administration on an IIS server on WNT or W2K platform
will minimize the problems of having Code Red on your system.  IIS is a
horrible, horrible webserver and very much follows the rattrap model of
software where you have a big, octopuslike, monolithic program that touches
dozens of things that you have no idea it does and is damn near impossible to
troubleshoot because everything is all crammed into a single black box and
there is no separation whatsover of anything.