Date:      02 Oct 2002 02:04:15 +0200
From:      Franz Klammer <klammer@webonaut.com>
To:        Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GNOME 2.1 upgrade

Am Mi, 2002-10-02 um 00.57 schrieb Joe Marcus Clarke:
> What do people think of upgrading the GNOME 2 components to the
> just-released GNOME 2.1 versions?  This is the development version that
> will become GNOME 2.2.  This will involve updating components such as
> pango and gtk2.  This may not be acceptable.
>
> Another alternative is to create -devel versions of the 2.1 components.
> Of course, this will create pains when upgrading.  It should be noted
> that the 2.1 and upcoming 2.2 components will be _source and binary_
> compatible with the 2.0 components.
>
> Thoughts?

my opinion: gnome ports without -devel should only install stable
versions from the latest release.

maybee it's a _very silly_ idea but why didn't you work with a
USE_UNSTABLE knob? if USE_UNSTABLE is set then the 2.1-versions
will be installed. with this, i think, you can avoid the update-pains
and it's easy to switch over to 2.2 or go back to 2.0.

franz

--
WEBONAUT.com
http://webonaut.com