Date:      Tue, 16 Mar 1999 19:52:16 -0800
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@sr.hp.com>
To:        Bob Willcox <bob@pmr.com>
Cc:        John Preisler <john@vapornet.net>, freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: celeron smp hack

Bob Willcox <bob@pmr.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 10, 1999 at 11:52:27PM -0800, Darryl Okahata wrote:
>
> >      That's the hard way.  For the easier way, see the various dual
> > celeron articles at:
> >
> > 	http://www.cpu-central.com/
>
> Our preference would have been to do it the easier way (with the MSI
> converter boards), but he was unable to locate any within the timeframe
> that we would have needed them so we modified the slot 1 processor
> boards.  I've also heard that there are converter boards available with
> jumpers to effect the change, though I've never seen them or anyplace
> claiming to have them so they may not exist.

     A co-worker did the slot-1 modification (where you have to drill a
hole).  It works, but he's had problems with wires breaking (he had to
solder a wire near the edge connector pins, and that wire is constantly
breaking off -- the top of the motherboard socket can hit the wire and
knock it loose).

     I did the socket-370-to-slot-1 modification, and it's easier -- no
drilling, and just one wire to solder.  I don't have any problems with
breaking wires.  However, the adapters I have use tin plated edge
connectors, and so I may have oxidation problems later on; it works,
though, and I'll look to replace them with gold-plated adapters someday.

     The soldering was tricky, though, due to the small wire and pads.
You'll need a very fine-tipped soldering iron, at least, and a stereo
microscope or magnifier (one of those circular fluorescent lamps with a
huge magnifier in the middle) will make things much easier.  You'll need
very good eyes, otherwise.

--
	Darryl Okahata
	darrylo@sr.hp.com

constitute the support, opinion, or policy of Hewlett-Packard, or of the
little green men that have been following him all day.