Date:      Sun, 6 Oct 1996 16:34:07 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        -Vince- <vince@earth.gaianet.net>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: contrib in -current

On Sun, 6 Oct 1996, -Vince- wrote:

> Greetings everyone,
>
> 	Does anyone know what contrib is used for in -current and is it
> required for a make world?  Thanks.

Several large packages that were not written with BSD in mind have had
their sources relocated to contrib, where they are supposedly being kept
relatively free of patches, on the theory that this will make upgrading
those packages simpler, when new updates are brought in.  Mostly you'll
find stuff that's already been part of current for a while, but there are
already some new additions there.  One good example is groff, which used
to be part of /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin.  A year from now, we'll probably know
more, to see if this method really has made things simpler or not.  I like
it so far.

> Vince
> GaiaNet Corporation - Unix Network System Admin

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |