Date:      Tue, 8 Feb 2000 06:49:08 -0800 (PST)
From:      wellsian <wellsian@caffeine.com>
To:        Fredrik Carlen <fredrik.carlen@telia.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Two Apache questions

1) A deamon doesn't necessarily keep itself alive when an axe cleaves it's
cranium. :) You want the apachectl script or equivalent. Check this:

  http://www.apache.org/docs/stopping.html

Try <YourPathToApache>/bin/apachectl -h

2) They need to run as someone, and the simplest someone is the web server
which implies leaving things somewhat open (okay for a single-site box).
Just set your cgi-bin and everything inside to be readable and executable
by your httpd owner. Anything more should be unnecessary. But you can
enforce additional control. See:

  http://www.apache.org/docs/misc/security_tips.html

The docs include lots of info, and they're installed by default when you
install apache. <http://<servername>/manual/index.html>;

GL,
-Dave