Date:      Mon, 07 Sep 1998 10:35:21 -0700
From:      Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@bigfoot.com>
To:        Jakob Alvermark <jakob@teligent.se>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Natd and icq?

At 11:40 AM 9/7/98 +0200, Jakob Alvermark wrote:
>Hello.
>
>Is it possible to use icq behind a firewall running natd? I've tried, and
>natd gives me an error: "failed to write packet back: Permission denied",
>when I try to connect to the icq server. I've checked the fw rules and the
>should be ok..

It is possible. I've been running ICQ through natd for months now. I use 2
different methods to get it to work properly. i used to use method #1, but
now method #2 works best.
1) set up 15 natd redirect_port entries for each ICQ machine, then tell
that machine's ICQ that i'm using a firewall, not socks4 and not socks5.
then it lets you enter the port range to use. i enter the range of the 15
ports from above
2) install a socks5 (www.socks.nec.com) proxy server and tell ICQ to use
your socks5 server. this seems to work best now, since ICQ for Win95, DLL
v1.3. if you install socks5, be sure to use its config file to limit who
can open connections, otherwise anybody on the internet can use you to
proxy connections for them.

--Ludwig Pummer
ludwigp@bigfoot.com ludwigp@chipweb.ml.org
ICQ UIN: 692441   http://chipweb.home.ml.org