Date:      Fri, 9 Nov 2001 06:20:25 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Multi-processor Support

Anthony Atkielski <anthony@atkielski.com> types:
> Mike Meyer writes:
> > I think you're suffering from MSBD (MicroSoft
> > Brain Damage).
> I was working on mainframes long before I saw anything from Microsoft, and the
> same rule applied.  It applies to all operating systems.  By definition, the
> kernel is critical to the functioning of the system; anything messed up in the
> kernel generally prevents the system from running.

True, but that has absolutely nothing to do with how hard and/or easy
it is to build and/or install a new kernel, or how hard and/or easy it
is to back out of such an action if it goes wrong. I've as yet to run
into a Unix system where the latter was really hard, though AIX made a
good attempt at that.

Other operating systems tend to be more difficult, depending on the
OS. We typically dealt with that by keeping the system on one pack,
and the users data on another, so backing out a broken install meant
putting the old OS pack back in.

> > As far as I can tell, it's easier to back out
> > of failed kernel install on Unix than it is to
> > back out a failed application install on
> > Windows.
> That is also my impression, based on my first attempt to build a custom kernel
> yesterday.

In which case, needing to build a new kernel to enable SMP on FreeBSD
should bother you less than needing to install Office to get a word
processor on Windows :-).

	<mike
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.