Date:      Sun, 30 Mar 1997 11:23:50 -0500
From:      exidor@superior.net (Christopher Masto)
To:        ctkwan@cs.hku.hk (Doug Kwan ~{9XUq5B~})
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: My client runs IRC bots

Doug Kwan ~{9XUq5B~} writes:
> 	I found that a client of mine is running EggDrop in
> one our Linux boxes. That fellow runs three bots simultaneously.
> My question is: Is there anything wrong with letting people
> run IRC bots? Would there be any significant impact to the
> server's performance? I used renice to lower the priorities
> of the bots already. I noticed that the bots open up a large
> number of sockets. Is it possible that these processes would
> consume a large ammount of kernel resources?

Eggdrop

1. Opens up a listening socket for incoming telnet connections.
2. Is poorly written and usually run by people who down'tcare or acre
   about unix security, hence the presence of 1. is a danger.
3. Has code that does the following:

    if connection to server lost
      reconnect

  When the servert goes down and refuses conections, that turns into
  a nasty busy loop that spends a lot of time calling expensive kernel
  fuinctions and pretty much eats your mahine.

4. Is usually run to "protect" an IRC channel or 6, and thus causes people
   to get pissed off and often try to attack the machine that hosts the bot.

I apologize for the crappy spelling and editing, but I'm installing
2.2.1 over a dialup line and there's about a 10 second delay before I
can even see what I'm writing, let alone try to go back and fix it.
--
Christopher Masto  .   .   .   .
chris@masto.com  .   .   .   .   . Masto Consulting:           info@masto.com

On Machismo and Pestilence:
 In the early sixties, we were strong, we were virulent...
 - John Connally, Secretary of Treasury under Richard Nixon.