Date:      Fri, 12 Apr 2002 18:39:11 -0400
From:      "E. J. Cerejo" <edu07643@yahoo.com.br>
To:        ako ito <pusongsinugatan@yahoo.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ported packages upgrades

On Friday 12 April 2002 17:50, ako ito wrote:
> i have so many packages that needs to be updated --
> but most of them are dependent to each other and so
> when i try to pkg_delete it wont allow me, it making
> an error.
>
> is there an easy way to do this ? i want my installed
> ported packages tidy so i dont want to keep old
> versions of ported applications.
>
> i would appreciate any help.

Personally I like doing it manually, portupgrade is OK but it still doesn't
have a switch to turn off "backup" and I still don't know where portupgrade
will put the backed up port after the upgrade so I stay away from it because
I have limited space.

so I do:

cvsup -g -L 2 ports-supfile

then

pkg_version -c > do_update

this will create a file named do_update which will tell you what needs
updating.  Then do exactly what it tells you to do starting with the
dependencies first.  You have to make sure that you start with the
dependencies first though or you will end up with two different port versions
installed.  You can find out if any dependencies need to be upgraded first in
www.freebsd.org/ports under 'requires' section for example if you need to
upgrade lynx just go to www.freebsd.org/ports/www.html (there's also a
command that you can run to find this out but I forgot about it) and look for
the lynx and under 'requires' look at the dependencies and then find out if
they need to be upgraded also by looking at do_update file  then after all
this is done just run.

pkgdb -F

it will fix all the stale links.  This might be primitive but it's been
working for me.