Date:      Sun, 24 Aug 2003 13:26:15 -0700
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@freebsd.org>
To:        "Jin Guojun [NCS]" <j_guojun@lbl.gov>, "Greg 'groggy' Lehey" <grog@freebsd.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD hardware Users <freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: nVIDIA nForece2, again

On Sat, Aug 16, 2003 at 05:16:09PM -0700, Jin Guojun [NCS] wrote:
> It is a vague problem on term of best performance -- what.
> NVidia has better memory bandwidth in AMD motherboards.

s/better/best/

> In terms of IDE performance, the AMD 760MP has
> the best performance in all chipsets in the world. 760 gives true
> 200 MB/s I/O IDE throughput, where most other chipsets only gives
> 100/133 MB/s on both IDE buses with 4 drives.

Acutally the nForce chip is based on the AMD 760 chipset. :-)

> > My main machine has just fried a southbridge, and I'm looking for a
> > replacement.  From what I can see, in the AMD range, the current best
> > performer is the nVIDIA nForece2.  I've read Bill Paul's description
> > of the problems with the onboard NIC, and if I buy one of these
> > boards, I'll certainly swell his mailbox of disgruntled nVIDIA
> > customers.

The best nForce2 board is the Asus A7N8X Deluxe (rev 2.0 board).  (note
this isn't the "-X" board, which is stripped down).
http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socketa/a7n8x-d/overview.HTM

Just one nice thing about this board is it has 2 NIC's.  The nVidia
proprity one, and an normal 3Com xl(4) one.

> > I've heard that it has an IOAPIC on it, even for single processors.

This is true for any nForce (original, 2, or 3) based board.  You can
probably even run an SMP kernel on it.

> > Based on what I've read, I'd probably be putting a Barton 2600XP+ and
> > 0.5 to 1 GB of DDR memory into it.

Don't forget to install DIMM's in pairs.

--
-- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)