Date:      Mon, 12 Oct 1998 14:13:45 +0100
From:      Richard Smith <richard@jezebel.demon.co.uk>
To:        Questions FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Should a corrupt floppy disk cause a panic?

Hello,

While reading a file off a particular msdos floppy disk I get:

panic: isa_dmacheck: no physical page present
syncing disks... panic: msdosfs_lock: locking against myself

...and the system reboots.

This happens consistently on three different FreeBSD systems all running
2.2.7R. The disk is indeed bad and probably needs throwing away or
reformatting.

However, getting to my question, the mount man page states that "It is
possible for a corrupted file system to cause a crash", so, does this
mean that the developers don't want me to report this as a bug?

I have created an image of the floppy, if anybody's interested :-)

FreeBSD rdls.sw.wan 2.2.7-RELEASE FreeBSD 2.2.7-RELEASE #0: Wed Jul 22
08:48:29 GMT 1998
root@builder.cdrom.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/GENERIC  i386
--
Richard Smith