Date:      Fri, 2 Aug 2019 05:02:00 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        hw <hw@adminart.net>
Cc:        Robert Huff <roberthuff@rcn.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: thunderbird in German?

On Fri, 02 Aug 2019 00:57:12 +0200, hw wrote:
> Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de> writes:

> >> 	It is my understanding that:
> >>
> >> 	a) sometime back, Mozilla did a major overhaul/upgrade of the
> >> 		interface between Firefox and addons.  As a result, all
> >> 		third-party add-ons and many Firefox-provided add-ons
> >> 		stopped working.
> >> 	b) some of the add-ons (e.g. AdBlock) were rebuilt to the new
> >> 		spec; many were not, including my personal must-have PrefBar.
> >
> > Yes, that probably is the case. Luckily (and thanks to search
> > engines) I was able to find out how to change the interface
> > language _now_. :-)
> >
> > Sidenote:
> >
> > Among the affected add-ons weren't just the german language packs,
> > but also an "interface locale changer" add-on where you could change
> > the interface language easily. Now this functionality is part of
> > Firefox, but you need to explore _how_ it works, to prevent the
> > disappointment of not being able to change the interface language.
> > I think the same applies for Thunderbird.
>
> Ok and _how_ do you change the language in Thunderbird?

I do not have a Thunderbird instance where I can check. I assume
(or conclude from Firefox) that there should be something in the
settings.

> Changing Firefox wasn't a problem, other than that I wish I could do
> that site-wide for all users rather than having to do it for each user.
> Why don't these programs just honor the language settings of the
> environment?

Yes, that is really a problem, because so many other programs do
it the right way; even temporary invocation in a different language
is not a problem for "old" programs. For example, if you set a
system-wide variable that applies to all users, that language
variable should be honored. I see multi-language support as a
great feature especially in FreeBSD, where I can use programs
in the language I prefer, and that might be vary among the
programs running in one session (for example, Sylpheed uses the
english language, while LibreOffice uses the german one).

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany