Date:      Fri, 09 Feb 2001 17:21:11 -0800
From:      David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>
To:        sil@antioffline.com
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: your mail

sil@antioffline.com wrote:

> Your pointing out something I already know and I am speaking for myself
> and not some OpenBSD cause. FYI I use FBSD at work since it supports
> multi processors and has some features that Open doesn't. However 4 CD's
> filled with stuff that I could give a rats (let me be polite) anus about
> is outrageous. Its no wonder why Free is on record pace to release a slew
> of advisories.

FreeBSD (and OpenBSD, for that matter) are used in a huge variety of
applications and settings. I, for one, do not use it as a server. I have
no need for a server. I use it as a single-user home system with games,
word processors, screen savers and foofy desktops. Ports are EXTREMELY
useful for me, and I suspect they are equally useful for 95% of the
FreeBSD usership. Limiting FreeBSD users to just the base distribution
is simply not a viable option. If you have a problem with ports, then it
is up to you not to install any. If you don't want to purchase four CD's
when you only need one, then try one of the other dozen ways to acquire
FreeBSD besides purchasing the official 4-CD set.

David