Date:      Thu, 17 Jan 2002 22:47:52 GMT
From:      dpuryear@usa.net (Dustin Puryear)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Using natd

I read the manpage for natd, and in fact am using it now, but still
have a few questions, as follows:

* Can someone better explain -deny_incoming. Without setting that
option will natd just pass incoming request to the localhost? I'm a
bit unclear on this issue.
* Does anyone use the -log option? Is this purely for troubleshooting?
I tried the -log option as an experiment, but didn't see any
meaningful, for my purposes at least, data being generated.
* Does anyone use -punch_fw, or do you just statically build your
firewall rules? I'm not sure I see an advantage to -punch_fw unless it
is simply for ease of firewall management.
* Can I alter the natd running configuration without rebooting the
machine? I tried killing the process once so that I coud reload and
and the network on the test machine promptly went down from the remote
end.

Regards, Dustin

---
Dustin Puryear <dpuryear@usa.net>
Information Systems Consultant
http://members.telocity.com/~dpuryear
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams