Date:      Thu, 03 Apr 2003 23:43:39 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Pawel Jakub Dawidek <nick@garage.freebsd.pl>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bug in make(1)?

Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 04, 2003 at 02:03:35AM +0200, Dimitry Andric wrote:
> +> Therefore, the simplest solution is to specify -o options everywhere.
> +> I've attached a patch for /usr/share/mk/sys.mk that does this, but
> +> please beware, it might break stuff which *expects* output files to
> +> always be put in the current directory.
>
> And this is IMHO correct behaviour. I'll try to build world and kernel
> with this patch and I'm quite sure that this doesn't break anything.

I think obj tree creation will fail with this; make sure you
use the seperate OBJDIR hierarchy stuff with this patch.

IMO, it's annoying, but not broken, to assume that there must
be a Makefile to correspond to each OBJDIR directory.  If that's
the assumption, then your build will fail to create the subdirectory
properly, but might look like it worked.  Make sure the object files
end up where you expect them, and make sure you start with a clean
OBJDIR, for your test.

IMO, it's better to use ".PATH:", which makes the problem go away,
by making the linker look for the objects where the compiler put
them (instead of making the compiler put them where the linker is
looking).  See previous message.

-- Terry