Date:      Sun, 21 Jul 2002 00:22:50 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        "Simon 'corecode' Schubert" <corecode@corecode.ath.cx>, Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.ORG>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Proposed new 'options' target

--cpvLTH7QU4gwfq3S

On Sat, Jul 20, 2002 at 12:56:40PM -0500, Will Andrews wrote:
> Nik, I looked at your patch.  I think (but would have to ask
> gnome@) that WITH_GNOME check should go in bsd.gnomeng.mk. =20

Makes sense.  All the sample WITH_* stuff is up in the air, and should
be put in to whichever file makes more sense.

> And
> as Simon says, the interface should be flexible, allowing people
> to choose from dialog, gui, or perhaps cli, what you implemented.

No problem with that.

However, can we least agree on a minimal set of features this must have,
and the API that porters should use in order to take advantage of these?

Introducing GUIs in to the mix is going to make things more complicated.
For example, with the pure_ftpd example, the WITH_LANG stuff isn't a=20
simple binary option, it's a list of valid values, which are going to
need to be enumerated in some fashion (along with information about which
widget should be used to display them, any input checking constraints
that apply, whether or not any options are mutually exclusive, and so=20
forth).

That's a huge can of worms.

We're essentially talking about a new configuration file for each port=20
that has options, that explains in some detail what those options are,=20
how they should be presented to the end user, and so on.

I suggest that the history of the project shows that if we wait around
for someone to solve all these problems we'll never get a solution that
works.  Better to spend some time implementing something with a small
set of features that's going to be an improvement to our user base now.

Any port that needs the more fancy option setting dialog stuff (as some
of them already do) can always override the options: target as
necessary.

--=20
FreeBSD: The Power to Serve      http://www.freebsd.org/               (__)
FreeBSD Documentation Project    http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/    \\\'',)
                                                                      \/  \=
 ^
   --- 15B8 3FFC DDB4 34B0 AA5F  94B7 93A8 0764 2C37 E375 ---         .\._/=
_)

--cpvLTH7QU4gwfq3S

--cpvLTH7QU4gwfq3S--