Date:      Sat, 02 Jun 2001 19:02:41 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
To:        Francisco Reyes <francisco@natserv.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: fsck freezes on  Phase 2 - Check Pathnames

Francisco Reyes wrote:

> One of my FreeBSD machines froze. I pressed reset (keyboard not
> responding).
> Upon coming back it has been freezen when trying to fsck /usr
> (/dev/ad0s1f).
>
> It has been freezing when doing Phase 2 check.
> I tried booting single mode and manually doing 'fsck -f
> /dev/ad0s1f' and it has been the same every time.
>
> Did I loose the data on that partition? Will I have to
> re-install?
> Running FreeBSD 4.3 Stable.
>
> I ran IBM drive fitness test to make sure the HD was physically
> ok. The program reported no problems with the drive.

How large is the /usr part? Are you sure it's frozen and not just taking
a long time? (I have a 65G part that took forever!)
If it really is freezing up, you'll probably need to newfs it. I had
this happen a few weeks ago, but wasn't able to determine the cause. I
couldn't get things working again until I did a newfs. You have been
making backups, correct?

-Bill

--
If a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush,
then what can I get for two hands in the bush?