Date:      Sun, 02 Jul 2000 06:57:55 -0400
From:      Generic Player <generic@unitedtamers.com>
To:        Josh Paetzel <jpaetzel@hutchtel.net>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: amd k6-2 550 vs p2 300

> I think what you are seeing is the benefits of the p2's onboard cache
> running at 1/2 of core speed.  There are significant achitechture
> differences between the socket 7 and slot one processors that make mghz
> comparisons a poor judge of performance when comparing between them.  I have
> noticed that my P2-350 is quite a bit faster than a comparably set up k6-2
> 450 that I have played around with, so I don't think you are "doing it
> wrong" or anything like that.

Um, huh?  Why would having a slower cache be a benefit?  Quite a bit
faster doing what kind of operations and on what OS if I may ask?  I
find that freebsd gets alot more out of the k-6 line once you compile a
kernel using the tweaks for k-6 chips, and windows seemingly
intentionally dogs with an AMD chip.  A k-6 II should be roughly the
same, or a little faster than the same clock speed p2 in everything
except FPU.  The only thing a p2 should be noticably faster for is 3d
apps.  Do you have k-6 write allocate enabled in your BIOS and kernel?

Generic Player