Date:      17 Feb 2002 18:40:59 +0000
From:      Rolf Neugebauer <neugebar@dcs.gla.ac.uk>
To:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/alpha/include cpufunc.h

Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu> writes:

> Andrew Gallatin [gallatin@FreeBSD.org] wrote:
> > gallatin    2002/02/11 17:20:50 PST
> >
> >   Modified files:        (Branch: RELENG_4)
> >     sys/alpha/include    cpufunc.h
> >   Log:
> >   add enable_intr() and disable_intr() which are required for DEVICE_POLL
> >   in -stable
>
> FWIW, device_polling works just fine on alpha.  I'm sticking to the
> mandatory MFC waiting period before committing the files file changes
> though..
>
> Interrupts are very expensive on alpha because of the interaction with
> palcode.  People who are using alphas as routers should benefit
> greatly from polling.  Here is a brief glimpse at the performance
> improvement polling gives you when blasting UDP packets at a 500MHz
> monet receiver, dc0 100Mb/full duplex:

I upgraded my LX164 with dc network card to 4.5-STABLE yesterday
(fresh cvsup) and enabled device polling (out of curiosity).

I observe occasional error messages like:
[...]
poll stalled [1] in phase 5
poll stalled [2] in phase 4
[...]
poll stalled [3] in phase 6

coinciding with NFS/RPC timeout errors.

I wonder if these are related (disabling device polling "solved" the
problem).

Just curious, I can live without device polling on my box as it is
just a normal workstation.

Cheers
Rolf