Date:      Wed, 08 Oct 2014 09:17:56 +0100
From:      Arthur Chance <freebsd@qeng-ho.org>
To:        Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de>, freebsd-pkg@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pkg query a package for packages it depends on

On 08/10/2014 09:03, Matthias Apitz wrote:
> I'm using a local repo (created by poudriere on some other host) and
> pkg(8) to install the ports on my netbook.
>
> # pkg -v
> 1.4.0.pre-alpha7
>
> I have not found in its man page how to query a given package for the
> packages it depends on. Have I overlooked something?

The various pkg-* man pages? man pkg only gives details of the pkg
command itself, man pkg-xxx gives details of the xxx subcommand.

If you want to query an installed port,

	pkg info -d <pkg-name>

If you want to query a port that is not installed

	pkg rquery '%dn' <pkg-name>

This looks through all active repos. The '%dn' format gives the names of
the dependencies, change it to '%do' to get the dependency origins.