Date:      Fri, 27 Dec 1996 16:54:07 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        julian@whistle.com (Julian Elischer)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ACLs for BSD

> In 1992 someone posted to the comp.unix.bsd list (I believe)
> a set of patches to add ACLs to arbitrary files under 386BSD.
>
> Bill Jolitz and others considered it to be of interest, however it
> seems to have gone from my archives.
>
> does anyone still have that tucked away?
> it might be worth looking at again soem time.

I have the code.

It is limited to the number of free ints in the on disk inode (which is
now larger than it was under 386BSD/FreeBSD 1.x).  It would not be very
effective with the new FS code (a limit of 2 or so ACL's).

It (obviously) also suffers from the same problems as quotas, namely
it's bogus because quota should be implemented as a stacking layer
anyway so they can be applied to all fs's, and so they don't care
about quotafile placement.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---