Date:      Mon, 16 Nov 1998 11:14:23 +0000
From:      "Nick A. Fikouras" <nick@dcs.shef.ac.uk>
To:        lubnazia@cyberaccess.com.pk
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bandwith monitor for unix freebsd

Lubna Zia wrote:

> Can we somehow control the bandwith being used by the customers at an
> ISP with the help of any relevant s/w tool available for unix freebsd?
> Is there a bandwith monitor available for unix freebsd?

When we are talking about TCP/IP network, as far as I know IP is a best
effort protocol. That is, it performs its best to deliver traffic as fast
as it can. It is this characteristic of IP that makes it impossible (with
the current router infrastructure) to reserve or allocate bandwidth in the
Internet.

I hope this has been of help,

nick