Date:      Wed, 16 Nov 2011 18:22:03 +0100
From:      Peter Maloney <peter.maloney@brockmann-consult.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Trouble with SSD on SATA

Willem,

I can only guess, but...

Is AHCI enabled in the bios? If you are not using 'fake-raid' for any
disks, you should [depending on FreeBSD version, HBA, etc.] probably
enable AHCI. Some servers actually come with SATA set in IDE mode. And
if you are using zfs, the controller optimally should not be RAID at
all. And if you have AHCI enabled already, try disabling it (losing hot
swapping ability, and some performance).

What version of FreeBSD are you using? I had a terrible experience with
ZFS on FreeBSD 8.2 release, and 8.2-stable-April2011. I would recommend
upgrading to the latest 8-stable with cvsup.

This thread seems related:

The guy was using 8.2 release, and he downgraded to an old version of
the driver to fix, saying that a patch also existed in 8-stable that
fixes the problem.

Are you using an expander?

What HBA / hard disk controller are you using?

Peter