Date:      Tue, 06 May 2003 21:45:33 +0000
From:      "clayton rollins" <crollins666@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Cc:        gabriel_ambuehl@buz.ch
Subject:   Re: Another reason to like FreeBSD

>On Tue, 6 May 2003 Gabriel Ambuehl <gabriel_ambuehl@buz.ch> wrote:
>

>Tuesday, May 6, 2003, 10:27:01 PM, "clayton rollins"
><crollins666@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > For now, though, I am plenty happy with the way it is. (I just got
> > java to work; they're right, blackdown 1.3 is the best to use with
> > konqueror...) I was more just using flash as an example that some >
>multimedia, etc., apps are still somewhat hard to find/install/port.
>
>Flash is quite probably the only client that is hard to get running
>under FreeBSD. Mplayer works like a charm so that video of Gnutella
>surely will play, even if it's WMV or Quicktime (assuming you run X86
>FreeBSD of course) ;-)
>
>Best regards,
>  Gabriel

I have to agree. MPlayer is definitely a trick little piece of software
(once you RTFM a few times), and with proper codecs can play almost any
video. (It doesn't play nice with artsd for some reason I have yet to figure
out, and has caused about 5 total lockups in 6 months, but, beyond being a
little buggy, I really like it.)

aKtion, kde's builtin video player, has also come quite a ways in kde 3.1,
and will play a lot of videos, though still not as many as mplayer.

Gnutella rocks and always will (as long as the RIAA doesn't kill it). I use
gtk-gnutella, which is easily as good as any of the clients on windows, and
currently have upward of 1 gig of distfiles shared. (and some media, docs,
snes roms, etc.) It's always a quick (sometimes) and easy way to get those
when all the ftp servers are busy or down. And, since the files need to pass
the checksum listed in the ports directory, there's no extra security risk.

Peace,
Clayton