Date:      Thu, 1 May 1997 11:34:46 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        andreas@klemm.gtn.com (Andreas Klemm)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Top no system utility ? (was Re: Longer user names: take 2 )

> > What I meant is that top is under active maintenance by a third party,
> > so any patches need to go through there instead of through FreeBSD.
>
> From J=F6rgs commit message:
>
> 	This tools is simply too system-dependant to maintain it=20
> 	in the ports collection.
>
> User names with more than 8 characters is already FreeBSD specific.
> And because of this FreeBSD specific change it would be fine,=20
> fix this FreeBSD specific behaviour not to waste 16 colums space, if
> the displayed user id's consume perhaps only 7 characters. This would
> leave more space for showing the executed command.
>
> Otherwise I'd follow your thoughts ...

The 8/16 is parameteric via a manifest constant.  It's not a system
specific change, unless top itself is not parametric.

There are other changes that have obviously not been sent back to the
official maintainers like they should be.

Is there a FreeBSD maintainer of 'top' now?  If there's an assigned,
responsible party for additional maintenance, I'll make the change;
otherwise, I'm not going to be the fall guy for advocating FreeBSD's
changes back to the real maintainer simply because someone else was
too lazy.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---