Date:      Tue, 8 Jan 2002 21:27:04 +0100
From:      "Massimiliano Stucchi" <willythemax@yahoo.it>
To:        "aaron" <aaron@lo-res.org>, "FreeBSD doc list" <freeBSD-doc@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Visual docbook editing

snippet from the fdp-primer

<snip>
In order to run the examples in this document you will need to install some
software on your system and ensure that an environment variable is set
correctly.

  1.. Download and install textproc/docproj from the FreeBSD ports system.
This is a meta-port that should download and install all of the programs and
supporting files that are used by the Documentation Project.

  2.. Add lines to your shell startup files to set SGML_CATALOG_FILES.

  Example 3-6. .profile, for sh(1) and bash(1) users

    SGML_ROOT=/usr/local/share/sgml
    SGML_CATALOG_FILES=${SGML_ROOT}/jade/catalog
    SGML_CATALOG_FILES=${SGML_ROOT}/iso8879/catalog:$SGML_CATALOG_FILES
    SGML_CATALOG_FILES=${SGML_ROOT}/html/catalog:$SGML_CATALOG_FILES
    SGML_CATALOG_FILES=${SGML_ROOT}/docbook/4.1/catalog:$SGML_CATALOG_FILES
    export SGML_CATALOG_FILES

  Example 3-7. .login, for csh(1) and tcsh(1) users

    setenv SGML_ROOT /usr/local/share/sgml
    setenv SGML_CATALOG_FILES ${SGML_ROOT}/jade/catalog
    setenv SGML_CATALOG_FILES
${SGML_ROOT}/iso8879/catalog:$SGML_CATALOG_FILES
    setenv SGML_CATALOG_FILES ${SGML_ROOT}/html/catalog:$SGML_CATALOG_FILES
    setenv SGML_CATALOG_FILES
${SGML_ROOT}/docbook/4.1/catalog:$SGML_CATALOG_FILES

  Then either log out, and log back in again, or run those commands from the
command line to set the variable values

</snip>

I think you should read it entirely, and do what it says.