Date:      Tue, 11 Jul 1995 16:33:47 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        davidg@root.com
Subject:   Help!  SMC Ultra death?

I've got a dead SMC Ultra (8216) Combo card here.  So what, you ask.  :-)

It's exhibiting the same general symptoms that were discussed quite some
time ago after some other card's probe code toasted a number of SMC cards -
apparently the configuration gets totally blasted somehow.  This is
consistent with the fact that the SMC ezstart program crashed during the
middle of reconfiguring the card, and the card has been dead since.

The jumpers have no effect (apparently).  But:  I remember that somebody
wrote a quick little program to "rejuvenate" the cards after such a
catastrophe.  I can't seem to find the mailing list archive, so maybe
somebody could suggest a pointer to where I should look or who I should be
talking to...

I just hate to see a good useful piece of hardware toasted.  :-(

Thanks,

... Joe