Date:      Thu, 21 Mar 1996 16:07:07 +1000
From:      George Scott <George.Scott@cc.monash.edu.au>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DEVFS vs "regular /dev"

>>> This assumes that the file system abstractions currently in place
>>> change as well, since the /dev FS can't be mounted *after* the / FS
>>> has been mounted as an inferior FS --
>> why not?
>> you don't need a mounted /dev to mount root.
>> that's done specially.
>
> So you don't need a mounted root to have a mounted /dev, of course!
>
> This makes it possible to remount root r/w without unmounting the
> devfs (and so still needing /dev).
>
>>> the /dev has to be there as
>>> an overlay mount (translucent FS), and that means FS changes to allow
>>> translucence and to divorce volume mappings from the need for a mount
>>> point (basically, a shadow / and /dev on which the devfs /dev is mounted
>>> and the real / is mounted over top of the shadow /).
>>
>> I think that's not needed
>
> Root remount, again.  If you divorce the mappings, you can mount root
> over and over despite devfs being mounted by default.

I'm not sure I understand all this, but never mind.

What would be wrong with doing something like this..

At boot time the kernel creates a memory-filesystem (mfs or other) with a /dev
directory.  During the device probes this /dev gets populated with appropriate
device entries.  At the end of the kernel initialisations the kernel union
mounts the root disk over the memory /.

For those detractors in a previous thread this would also allow those who
are so inclined to have their own custom modifications to /dev or even to
remount their root without the union to keep using the old method.

George.