Date:      14 Feb 2003 15:08:01 -0500
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        Mark Edwards <mark@antsclimbtree.com>
Cc:        stan <stanb@awod.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Gnome 2 on FreeBSD 4.7p3 -- multiple issues

--=-Id0jWBkV+3R0nBH4PjqL

On Fri, 2003-02-14 at 14:58, Mark Edwards wrote:
> On Friday, February 14, 2003, at 11:21 AM, stan wrote:
>=20

> >> I got it.  I tried switching to root, and running startx (root's
> >> .xinitrc was set to start gnome).  I got a complaint that fontconfig
> >> couldn't start.  Aha!
> >>
> >> I removed /usr/X11R6/etc/fonts and reinstalled
> >> /usr/ports/x11-fonts/fontconfig and voila!  Everything's fine, AND I
> >> have anti-aliased fonts!  Damn, that was painful, but I guess it was
> >> worth it.
> >
> > I"m fighting this exact same problem, and I was wondering if I could
> > trouble you with a couple of questions.
> >
> > You say you removed /usr/X11R6/etc/fonts. Do you mean the whole thing?=20
> > As
> > in evert font on the system? If so, exactly what did you do to reinstal=
> > just the fonts?
>=20
> My /usr/X11R6/etc/fonts directory looks like this:
>=20
> total 16
> -r--r--r--  1 root  wheel  8618 Feb 13 11:35 fonts.conf
> -r--r--r--  1 root  wheel  5712 Feb 13 11:35 fonts.dtd
>=20
> So, I removed that directory, and I did
>=20
> cd /usr/ports/x11-fonts/fontconfig
> make deinstall
> make clean install
>=20
> That fixed the problem for me.  I don't know that deleting the=20
> fonts.conf and fonts.dtd actually did anything, I was just shooting in=20
> the dark.  I saw that something was foul with fontconfig, so I wanted to=20
> make sure I wiped out anything corrupted in fonts.conf.  I knew the=20
> installer would replace that directory.
>=20
> If two of us have had this issue now, I wonder if there's something=20
> about the build order of the gnome2.2 port that is messing up fontconfig=20
> when upgrading from a previous gnome2 install, or something like that. =20
> Does that sound plausible Joe?

Not likely.  I've upgraded four machines now, and never encountered this
problem.  I know quite a few others that haven't run in to it, either.=20
As long as you properly upgrade GNOME 2 and all of its components, you
really shouldn't run into a problem.  That's not to say a bad font or
fontdir, or bad ~/.fonts.conf couldn't hurt you.

Joe

>=20
> --
> Mark Edwards