Date:      Fri, 3 Apr 2015 13:44:47 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Valeri Galtsev" <galtsev@kicp.uchicago.edu>
To:        "Dieter BSD" <dieterbsd@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why does FreeBSD insist on https?

On Fri, April 3, 2015 12:59 pm, Dieter BSD wrote:
>> Why do so many FreeBSD URLs redirect from http to https?
>> What is this intended to accomplish?
>>
>> This is user-hostile.  Some browsers cannot do https, and there are
>> good reasons (unrelated to http vs https) to use these browsers.
>> There are also good reasons to prefer http over https even with a
>> browser
>> that can do https.  Https is useful when needed, but it isn't needed
>> here.
>>
>> Can someone *please* fix this?
>
> Maxim replies:
> https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2015/04/china-uses-unencrypted-websites-to-hijack\
> -browsers-in-github-attack
>
> I complain about unnecessary https so of course you offer a https link.
> Very useful.  Thank you.
>
>>From what I've read about that attack there are better ways to prevent it
> than using https.  (I'll leave that as a exercise for the reader.)
>
> Charles replies:
>> Security?  Confidentiality?
>
> For information that is openly published?
>
>> Strong(er) assurance of content integrity?
>
> Maybe slightly.  But it should be the user's choice.

No: ensuring the content comes to recipient unmodified by arbitrary 3rd
partied is right of content provider. Not the one who visits the website.
You can establish the rules only for the websites _you_ own, maintain, and
are responsible for content of. Anybody (who is not website owner)
demanding that changed are in sane people's mind attempting to force that
change on behalf of malicious exploiters. So, either you keep insisting on
that, and therefore are identifying yourself with website hijackers and
orchestrators of DOS attacks. Or you stop insisting on that.

I for one after someone explained to you the reasons in layman language,
seeing you keep insisting, would just ban you off the list. Luckily for
you I'm not one of the list admins.

Valeri