Date:      Tue, 10 Jun 1997 22:50:10 -0400
From:      Charles Henrich <henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>, michaelh@cet.co.jp, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cable modems

On the subject of Re: Cable modems, Terry Lambert stated:

> The rest of us live in the armpit of the telecommunications
> industry (like US West and TCI cablevision) and we don't have

Hey careful!  I *am* in TCI land, and this TCI is the best cable system I've
ever seen.

> I suspect Europe and Australia to have universal high speed
> access *long* before the US, simple because you guys don't
> have a badly managed antiquated infrastructure that they are
> still trying to amortize over the remaining portion of their
> 20 year accounting cycle.
>
> Bah Humbug!

And you have moronic consumers in the United states who cry "I have to pay $70
a month for a 10mbit link to thie internet?  Waaahh thats rediculus!  I wanna
pay $5!"

Capitalism works, and if consumers were willing to pay for quality, we wouldnt
be stuck with VHS, crappy NTSC telvision signals, lousy POTS lines, and other
useless (but cheap) products.

-Crh

       Charles Henrich     Michigan State University     henrich@msu.edu

                         http://pilot.msu.edu/~henrich