Date:      Thu, 25 Jul 2002 12:32:08 -0600
From:      Jason Porter <leporter@xmission.com>
To:        MET <met@uberstats.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD as a Desktop

Yeah, it works great, I use it for a desktop.  I too was tired of
Windows so I decided to switch.  For wordprocessing StarOffice /
OpenOffice is out there (be warned though it takes a while to make) they
work great.  For programing I don't use an IDE, personally I'm a vi guy
(I use vim and gvim) they work well for what I do.  Some people use
emacs, it's a preference thing.  Email and web surfing can be done with
mozilla.  ICQ and AIM can be handled with gabber or gaim or some other
ones out there.  For mp3 players there are a lot out there in the ports
colleciton.  I use xmms and wmusic to dock it in WindowMaker.  I'm quite
pleased with FreeBSD as a desktop.  It boots faster, shuts down faster.
  And I can use it for a test bed (I do web development).  Probably the
best thing so far is that it hasn't crashed too often, I think once or
twice.  And you can always rebuild the things that break :)  So there's
my little spiel on it.

--
-Jason Porter

"Real programmers are secure enough to write
readable code, which they then self-righteously
refuse to explain."