Date:      Mon, 06 Dec 1999 14:37:57 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        rene@xs4all.nl
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: some very simple questions

On Sun, 05 Dec 1999 19:43:55 +0100, rene@xs4all.nl wrote:

>   * How do I figure out what version of freeBSD I am running?

Well, ``uname -r'' will tell you that, but when you're reporting
problems, most folks would prefer to see the output of ``uname -a''.
Anyways, see the uname(1) manual page for more information.

>   * And the version of any given package, beit source,
>   pre-compiled or installed?

You can do this:

	pkg_info |less

However, this will only show you information about stuff you installed
using the FreeBSD Ports Collection or FreeBSD packages.  For other
stuff, you'll have to hunt its documentation.

Ciao,
Sheldon.