Date:      Thu, 7 Oct 1999 18:47:47 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Adrian Penisoara <ady@warpnet.ro>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [Patches avail?] Re: MMAP() in STABLE/CURRENT ...

Hi again,

On Wed, 6 Oct 1999, Adrian Penisoara wrote:

> hi again,
>
> On Tue, 5 Oct 1999, Matthew Dillon wrote:
>
> > : The problem is that the machine is completely locked, I can't get into
> > :the debugger with CTR-ALT-ESC; no panics so there are no coredumps
> > :catched. Any advise ? Could you escape in the debugger when you were hit
> > :by these bugs ?
> >
> >     If it's completely locked up and ctl-alt-esc doesn't work (and normally
> >     does work - try it on a working system to make sure that you've compiled
> >     in the appropriate DDB options), and you aren't in an X display
> >     (ctl-alt-esc isn't useful when done from an X display)... then your
> >     lockup problem is unrelated to mmap.
>
>  No X on the machine, but CTRL-ALT-ESC doesn't work.
>  And another thing: I tried the MMAP "exploit"/test that has been floating
> around at that time on another 3.2-STABLE machine SMP with 2 Pentiums and
> it does lock the machine but you can switch consoles and escape to the
> debugger; on the production server (K6-2 300) everything goes dead when
> it happens (I haven't tried the MMAP test)...
>
>  You're probably right, it's not the MMAP bug; but it's not faulty
> hardware -- I'll have an undeniable proof in a few days, I have downgraded
> to 3.1-STABLE as of 20th April...

 Whoops: a few hours after downgrading to 3.1-STABLE I had a double fault
error (strange, it didn't look like a normal panic screen, just the
message and the content of three registers, then the syncing disks
message). It seems that I might be wrong about hardware not being the
problem.

 I've changed the motherboard, CPU, memory and the video card and I'm
waiting to see how much it's going to stay up (I have 1day 1hour uptime so
far)...

 Thanks,
 Ady (@warpnet.ro)